Cocktail hour always needs a little bite of something cheesy and crispy. Gorgonzola, black pepper, and a pinch of cayenne pepper make for a fun twist on a classic Southern cheese straw. Make the dough the day before and bake them the morning of the party.
Two-Pepper Blue Cheese Wafers
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 7 ounces Gorgonzola blue cheese, crumbled, at room temperature
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper, plus more for sprinkling
- ⅛ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- Combine all ingredients in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the metal blade. Process until mixture forms a dough.
- Shape the dough into a log about 12 inches long. Wrap in plastic wrap; chill 3 to 24 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 375˚F. Cut the log into 1/3-inch-thick slices. Place 2 inches apart on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Sprinkle with additional black pepper. Bake, in batches, 18 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on pans for 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack, and cool completely, about 20 minutes.