A homemade crust is the beginning to this showstopping tomato pie. Choose a variety of colors and sizes of tomatoes to add some wow. Seed and drain the slices before adding them into the crust. Be prepared to be asked for this recipe again and again.
Tomato, Cheddar, and Bacon Pie
- 2¼ cups self-rising soft-wheat flour (such as White Lily)
- 1 cup cold butter, cut up
- 8 cooked bacon slices, chopped
- ¾ cup sour cream
- 2¾ lbs assorted large tomatoes, divided
- 2 tsp kosher salt, divided
- 1½ cups (6 oz.) freshly shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- ½ cup freshly shredded Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 Tbsp fresh dill sprigs
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh chives
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp sugar
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1½ Tbsp plain yellow cornmeal
- Garnish: fresh basil
- Place flour in bowl of a heavy-duty electric stand mixer; cut in cold butter with a pastry blender or fork until mixture resembles small peas. Chill 10 minutes. Add bacon to flour mixture; beat at low speed just until combined. Gradually add sour cream, 1⁄4 cup at a time, beating just until blended after each addition.
- Spoon mixture onto a heavily floured surface; sprinkle lightly with flour, and knead 3 or 4 times, adding more flour as needed. Roll into a 13-inch round. Gently place dough in a 9-inch fluted tart pan with 2-inch sides and a removable bottom. Press dough into pan; trim off excess dough along edges. Chill 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut 2 pounds tomatoes into 1⁄4-inch-thick slices, and remove seeds. Place tomatoes in a single layer on paper towels; sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt. Let stand 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Stir together Cheddar cheese, next 10 ingredients, and remaining 1 teaspoon salt in a bowl until combined.
- Pat tomato slices dry with a paper towel. Sprinkle cornmeal over bottom of crust. Lightly spread 1⁄2 cup cheese mixture onto crust; layer with half of tomato slices in slightly overlapping rows. Spread with 1⁄2 cup cheese mixture. Repeat layers, using remaining tomato slices and cheese mixture. Cut remaining 3⁄4 pound tomatoes into 1⁄4-inch-thick slices; arrange on top of pie.
- Bake at 425°F for 40 to 45 minutes, shielding edges with foil during last 20 minutes to prevent excessive browning. Let stand 1 to 2 hours before serving.