I rarely meet a macaroni and cheese I don’t like. For me, it’s a dish that makes the world a better place. With five cheeses and toasted croissants on top, comfort food doesn’t get more luxurious than this.
Macaroni with Five Cheeses
Makes: 8 - 10 servings
- 1 (16-oz.) package elbow macaroni
- 2 (2-oz.) croissants, cut into 1⁄2-inch cubes
- 3 oz. sharp Cheddar cheese
- 3 oz. sharp white Cheddar cheese
- 2 oz. provolone cheese
- 1 oz. Asiago cheese
- 1 oz. Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk
- 2 tsp salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°. Prepare macaroni according to package directions.
- Arrange croissant cubes in a jelly-roll pan. Bake at 350° for 6 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Grate all cheeses using the large holes of a box grater.
- Melt butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat; whisk in flour until smooth. Cook 1 minute, whisking constantly. Gradually whisk in milk; cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, 5 minutes or until mixture is thickened and bubbly. Add cheeses, salt, and pepper; stir until cheeses melt. Stir in macaroni.
- Spoon mixture into a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish. (Dish will be full.) Sprinkle croissant cubes over macaroni. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until macaroni is thoroughly heated and croissant cubes are golden brown.
Macaroni with Five Cheeses Copyright © Rebecca Lang Cooks | rebeccalangcooks.com