Creamy, rich sweet potatoes are speckled with crunchy cornflakes, pecans, brown sugar, and marshmallows for the ideal Thanksgiving combination in each serving.
Sweet Potato Casserole
Makes: 6 - 8 servings
- 4½ lbs sweet potatoes
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup milk
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp table salt
- 1¼ cups corn flakes cereal, crushed
- ¼ cup chopped pecans
- 1 Tbs brown sugar
- 1 Tbs butter,melted
- 1½ cups cups miniature marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Bake sweet potatoes at 400°F for about 1 hour or until tender. Let cool to touch; peel and mash sweet potatoes. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F.
- Beat mashed sweet potatoes, sugar, and next 5 ingredients at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth. Spoon potato mixture into a greased 11- x 7-inch baking dish.
- Combine cornflakes cereal, pecans, brown sugar, and melted butter in a small bowl. Sprinkle over casserole.
- Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes. Remove from oven; let stand 10 minutes. Sprinkle with marshmallows, and bake 10 more minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Shop for sweet potatoes that are all about the same size to ensure that the baking time for each potato will be the same. This prevents having to leave larger potatoes in the oven longer than planned. Recipe from The Southern Vegetable Book (Oxmoor House, 2016) by Rebecca Lang
Sweet Potato Casserole Copyright © Rebecca Lang Cooks | rebeccalangcooks.com