Heirloom tomatoes are grown from seeds that have been saved from year to year. Their flavor is worlds away from the sort typically found in the produce department. The colors and shapes can vary greatly from one variety to another. So can the flavor. Choose several different kinds to create the prettiest summer salad. Taste and adjust the vinegar, salt, and pepper amounts to best highlight your unique tomatoes.
Heirloom Tomato Salad
- 1½ lbs assorted heirloom tomatoes
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp thinly sliced fresh basil, plus a few leaves for garnish
- 1½ Tbsp red wine vinegar
- ¾ tsp Dijon mustard
- ¼ tsp flaked sea salt
- ⅛ tsp freshly ground pepper
- Cut tomatoes into 1/3-inch-thick slices. Arrange on a large serving plate.
- Whisk together olive oil and next 5 ingredients in a 2-cup measuring cup. Pour olive oil mixture over tomato slices. Garnish, if desired.